Preventing the Summer Slide
Blackwater Regional Library encourages participants to visit the library weekly over the summer to enjoy activities to the fullest extent! Historically, BRL offered weekly incentives to reward readers who met weekly reading goals. However, this summer we are rewarding summer reading participants with programs highlighting STEAM activities and engaging performers!
Although, the library will not offer an incentive based program in 2023, we continue to stress the importance of avoiding the Summer Slide. Learn more about the Summer Slide from the National Summer Learning Association
Summer Reading Facts
- Students who participate in public library summer reading programs scored higher on reading achievement tests at the beginning of the next school year than those who did not participate.
- Parents of children enrolled in the public library summer reading program reported that their children spent more time reading over the summer, were well prepared for school in the fall, and read more confidently.
- Young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer. Libraries are part of the solution!
- To succeed in school and life, children and young adults need ongoing opportunities to learn and practice essential skills.
- The library is a place to learn, read, and have fun…a place the whole family can enjoy.
- Studies show that children who are read to in the home, and who use the library, perform better in school and are more likely to continue to use the library as a source of lifetime learning.
- The amount of time children spend reading outside of school is linked to gains in reading achievement.
Sources: iRead Reading Programs and Dominican University IMLS-funded research: Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap
BRL is here to help! Our librarians are knowledgeable and ready to assist in locating materials to keep students reading this summer! Contact any branch of BRL for more information.