Blackwater Regional Library offers hundreds of valuable genealogy resources to its patrons. Highlights include passenger lists, court records, marriage records, church and cemetery records, will and deed indexes, and war registers. We also hold many books tracing local family lineage.
The library also offers access to two powerful genealogy databases:
ANCESTRY – LIBRARY EDITION
Find your roots! This collection assembles every extant U.S. federal census, banking and military records, genealogies, local histories, primary source materials, and genealogical and local history serials. Ancestry Library Edition can only be accessed within a BRL branch.
Heritage Hub Explore your family history with the premier collection of U.S. obituaries and death notices for in-depth genealogical research from 1824 – today. HeritageHub helps you easily identify relatives, uncover new information and potentially unknown family members. Includes deep coverage from all 50 states, hard-to-find content from the mid 1900’s, and original obituary images. Access is available 24/7. (Library card required to access from home)
HERITAGE QUEST ONLINE (at the library) (from home)
One of the most valuable services available today for anyone researching ancestry in the United States. The company is best known for its collection of the U.S. Federal Census records from 1790 through 1930.
Heritage Quest Online can be accessed within a BRL branch or from home. Click the appropriate link above. If you are accessing from home, you will need to enter your library card number to login to the database.
Internet Archive/Wayback Machine allows you to see local yearbooks contributed by Blackwater Regional Library and scanned by the Library of Virginia.
- Library of Virginia’s Genealogy Collection (The Library of Virginia holds the most comprehensive genealogical collection in the Commonwealth. It’s well worth a trip to Richmond)
Local Historical Societies
- Isle of Wight County Historical Society
- Southampton County Historical Society
- Suffolk Nansemond Historical Society
- Surry County Historical Society
- Sussex County Historical Society
- Regional Genealogy Research and Links
Historical Newspapers Online
- Virginia Newspaper Project
- Virginia Newspaper Project Blog
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers (1836-1922) from Library of Congress
General Genealogy Resources